know us better
The Bible Society of Nigeria was founded on 8th February, 1966 through the pioneering efforts of the late Dr. Francis Ezeogo Akanu Ibiam, the first indigenous Governor of the defunct Eastern Region. Earlier in February, 1965, Dr. Ibiam had initiated a consultation with representatives of most of the Churches [Church organizations] in Nigeria on the need to form a national Bible Society in Nigeria. It was the unanimous decision of that meeting that The Bible Society of Nigeria be formed which consequently led to its formation and inauguration on February 8, 1966.
Before 1966, The Society was under the supervision of the British and Foreign Bible Society [BFBS] which had operated in Nigeria as far back as 1807. Then the Bible House, Apapa was serving as a distribution centre to other neighbouring West African countries.
Ross J. Manning, who was the representative of the British and Foreign Bible Society (BFBS) in West Africa during the independent era, became the first General Secretary of The Bible Society of Nigeria. The significant role Manning played towards the formation of BSN was his ability to ensure the unification of the East and West Blocks.
Today, we have 39 Areas across the country and six Bible depots pan Nigeria. We distribute over one million copies of the Bible yearly. So far we have the complete Bible in 26 Nigerian Languages, the New Testament in 60 local Languages and one book or another in 98 Languages. It costs a minimum of N40 million to finish a Bible translation project. At the moment, Bible translation is going on in 11 different Nigerian Languages. The languages include: Edo, Hausa Ajami, Isoko, Okun, Epie, Ogbia, Nigerian Sign Language, Urhobo, Yoruba, Ebira DC and English Study Bible